Videos prevail in your Facebook and Instagram feed and for a good reason — the audience loves them. It was only a matter of time before LinkedIn would introduce native video to this social network.
LinkedIn is one of the top marketing channels for B2B marketers who strive to raise brand awareness, generate qualified leads, and develop relationships with their new and existing customers. At the end of August 2017, it became possible to post videos directly into the feed. Before that videos were embedded either via YouTube or share links — neither of the options were optimal in terms of audience engagement.
But now let's take a look at the different ways you can use video content on LinkedIn.
Best types of LinkedIn videos
- Explainer videos work exceptionally well on LinkedIn. They allow viewers to understand what the brand is about, learn about the business's values and vision as well as become familiar with the company's products and services.
- With live testimonial or Q&A videos, the target audience gets direct insight into the business. Ask your client or colleague a few questions about a current project or a general issue of the industry.
- Remember to include videos from events into your content plan, whether it's events that you're are hosting or ones you are merely attending.
Similar to Facebook, native video on LinkedIn start automatically without sound when you scroll through your feed. If LinkedIn follows the same pattern as Facebook, the algorithm will favor native video rather than embedded links.
LinkedIn video ads
At the end of March 2018, LinkedIn launched video ads. The video ad has the same format as a sponsored post, but instead of a still image, you have a video. Wondering about targeting or campaign objectives, well, it works the same way as promoted posts.
Similar to native videos, LinkedIn ads autoplay with no sound. For this reason, an interesting intro, eye-catching color scheme, as well as subtitles or captions, play a significant role in capturing the viewer's attention.
When uploading a video to LinkedIn, it's important to keep in mind the length of the video. LinkedIn videos can be from 3 seconds to 10 minutes long, but you will get most engagement if your video is between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. Longer videos usually target the audience that is in the middle or bottom of the sales funnel. Make sure that your video is optimised for both mobile and desktop users.
Technical summary for videos on LinkedIn:
- Length: 3 sec to 30 minutes
- Layout: Horizontal and vertical videos are supported
- File size: Between 75 KB and 200 MB
- File format: MP4
- Frame rate: Less than 30 FPS (frames per second)
- Pixel and aspect ratio requirements:
- 360p (480 x 360; wide 640 x 360)
- 480p (640 x 480)
- 720p (960 x 720; wide 1280 x 720)
- 1080p (1440 x 1080; wide 1920 x 1080)
- Video ads created with a 1:1 aspect ratio should have a minimum resolution of 600 x 600px, and a maximum resolution of 1080 x 1080px.
- Audio format: AAC or MPEG4
- Audio size: Less than 64KHz
- If someone unmutes the video in the feed on desktop and scrolls down immediately (in less than two seconds), the video will continue playing even if less than 50% of the video is visible on the screen.
- You cannot upload a maximum of 25 videos in Campaign Manager within 24 hours.
- Videos can only be uploaded from a desktop computer, not from a mobile device.